Getting Rid of Fires and Electrocution Hazards at Home

Faulty electric outlet burning

Residential fires happen as a result of many different reasons, with the kitchen being the number one area where they start. However, there are plenty other causes, many of them having to do with electrical appliances and wiring.

This is why you should educate yourself and everyone else in your household about the various electrical hazards. This way, all members of the family can actively participate in minimizing the dangers that they can bring, especially fires and electrocution.

Aged wiring

Every year, faulty electrical wiring causes residential fires resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in property damage. Worse, they also cause injuries of varying severities and even fatalities. Almost all of these cases were preventable, if only homeowners paid more attention to the state of their property’s wiring.

As a general rule of thumb, it’s best that you have a professional inspect and carry out necessary repairs and replacements for wiring aged 30 years or older. Some of the most common signs that indicate malfunctioning electrical wiring include consistent flickering of lights without apparent reason, repeatedly tripping breakers, and sparking outlets.

Leaving malfunctioning appliances as is and their continued use

Contact a Salt Lake City appliance service specialist like All Pro Appliance Service, Inc. as soon as you notice any problems with electrical equipment, and even when you can still operate them. In fact, you should stop using them, and have them inspected and repaired or replaced as needed, especially when their cables show signs of damage, such as tears and exposed wires. These are fire and electrical hazards, and their continued use can lead to disastrous consequences.

Keeping your house free of fire and electrical hazards can be quite easy, as long as everyone in the household participates and does their part in following safety precautions. Knowing how dangerous the threats are to their health and well-being is key to preventing such unnecessary accidents.